Wednesday, August 4, 2010

what I'm reading

What I have finished reading over the past two and a half weeks:
The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life
Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club, by Laurie Notaro. I'm pretty sure I finished this one. It's actually four days overdue, so I should really get it back to the library. It's a lot like Notaro's other book, Spooky Little Girl. This was was also recommend by Jen of Jennsylvania, as were the next three below. This pretty much wraps up my tour of her summer reading specials. All in all, a solid reading list, if a bit heavy on the quirky female protagonist with poor job prospects and a lackluster love life. Sounds familiar...

The One That I Want: A Novel
The one that I want: a novel, by Allison Winn Scotch.  I did finish this one, and it is a lot like her other book, The Department of Lost & Found.  Still pretty good, though.  It'd be a cute movie.

Marcus of Umbria: What an Italian Dog Taught an American Girl about Love
Marcus of Umbria: what an Italian dog taught an American girl about love, by Justine Van der Leun.  It's basically Eat, Pray, Love with a dog, and only in Italy. And the girl's about 24, so the precociousness is extra annoying. Yet I still totally cried.

Julie & Julia
Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell. Yes, I am the last person on the planet to have read this book, and I haven't even seen the movie yet. I am totally late to the party, and at this point I'm not even fashionably late. But I totally dug this book. I couldn't put it down last night. Granted, it was 105 outside so it's not like I was going to leave my air conditioned cave of a living room or had anything better to do, but still. I wish I were a witty enough writer with a clever project so that I, too, might land a book deal and be able to leave my lame job. But at least I didn't have to eat calf brains. Yuck.

What I'm reading now: 1984, George Orwell. I know, how have I never read this book? It escaped me, is all I can say. It's a "classic" (of course!) so it counts towards an item on my 101 Things list. Sweet!

What I'm watching: Still True Blood, Season 3. Team Alcide! or Team Eric! Team Alcide AND Eric!  Other than that, not Mad Men because I gave up cable. Soon, maybe soon I can catch up on Don Draper's charming antics.

No comments:

Intense Debate Comments