Tuesday, August 10, 2010

even more out of control

Oh dear. The garden has absolutely taken over. I may have been a bit..."remiss" in weeding the backyard this summer.  I was in school, and working, and it was hot out, and there was a Bones marathon on TNT...you know how it goes. I promise myself every year that this won't happen, but let's be honest: the weeds and crab grass are going to take over the garden around July of each year and I will be helpless to stop it.

Case in point:
This is my garden. This is my garden on no drugs, just raised garden beds. Any questions???
IMG_1423.JPG
lawn mower included for scale/laziness

I ended up pulling the patty pan squash from the bed on the left. It was the only thing producing, except the cherry tomato, and I have no idea what to do with patty pans (those flutey white squashes). They are an SOB to cut open, and let's face it, I'm pretty lazy.


IMG_0591.JPG
Knife crushing patty pan squash


The cherry tomatoes are out in force this year. I'm not even sure how many plants there are. One? Two? Apparently whatever I picked was an indeterminate variety, because there are little vines of tomatoes on all four sides of the bed. I keep mowing them over with the lawn mower. Sorry, tiny tomatoes, but you are in may way. Also? I hate tomatoes. I know, I know...why do I grow them? Did you see the top picture? I am an ace at growing things (not including green beans, but including patty pan squash and tomatoes), so I grow things. It's pretty simple, really.

IMG_1424.JPG
six of many

As for that tall stuff in the back, along the fence? When I planted them in (ahem, late) May, I assumed they were bush beans. They were in a sack labeled "bush beans," but I plant them every year and forget they are really pole beans. Do I re-label the bag they came from? Nope.  So, surprise, pole beans. Also surprise? They aren't producing. No beans! Not even a flower on these babies. Too little potassium? nitrogen? phosphorous? One of those elements that belongs in soil and is responsible for producing fruit?

I thought, for a while, that the tomatoes were also duds.  I had seen a few larger fruits growing in the depths of the jungle, but hadn't seen any ripen.  I was reading in the backyard Saturday when I saw a flash of black sneak behind me into the garden bed. I didn't have my camera out quickly enough, but you guessed it: Bristow stealing green tomatoes!!!  Maybe he is stealing all of the green beans, too? I bet he enlists Nellie to get the ones on the top of the vines. She's quite the little jumper. Cheeky little bastards.

Bristow & Nellie
Don't let their puppy dog eyes fool you. They are ruthless vegetable thieves.

No comments:

Intense Debate Comments