Friday, March 4, 2011

well that was kind of a let down


So....the Oscars 2011...not quite so young and hip, eh? I stayed up Sunday night to watch and ended up fast-forwarding through quite a bit of it. I'm not even sure "boring" accurately describes it. I mean, it seemed like a good idea. Adorable, funny, if somewhat smug performer Anne Hathaway paired with adorable, funny, if somewhat smug and wacky actor James Franco, and yet....FAIL. When Billy Crystal got up on stage I thought, "Yes! This is what I've been waiting for! Bring on the song and dance number." And yet...not. Overall, I was bored by the red carpet coverage (except for those adorable youngsters from PS22) and the telecast. To top it all off, after staying up late waiting for King's Speech to win, we had massive storms in Indiana. These storms brought flooding rains, hail and tornados! in February! It was great. The entire city crammed into Sbux the next morning, hoping some caffeination would prepare them for a loooong day of sleep-deprivation.


And so, after a mediocre awards season draws to a close, it's on to bigger and better things. Did I mention Downton Abbey? I simply had to finish it prior to the Oscars Sunday night, and I'm glad I did. I can't wait for Season 2. To tide me over, I'm getting my British aristocracy fill by watching Season 2 of The Tudors. I watched Season 1 on a plan to/from China a few years ago and am now getting caught up. I do love Anne, even though she is power-hungry, mad, and controlling. We all know what happens in the end (spoiler alert!), so that part is kind of anti-climatic. I have two episodes left this season and then it's on to Season 3.

Intense Debate Comments