Monday, March 7, 2011

one item off the procrastination list - butterfly collage

This is a project I have been meaning to create for over two years! I saw this project first on Craftster and Ali Edwards' blog in late 2008 (link is to her updated project page), and I blogged about it in 2009. I made my own butterfly collage using some assorted scrapbook paper, a Martha Stewart butterfly hole punch, and an IKEA Ribba frame I picked up last May just for this project.

The project took under two hours, so I'm not quite sure why I didn't do this months or, well, years ago. I was watching Arsenic and Old Lacy on Netflix, so I'm not sure of the actual time it took. Most of it was spent gathering the supplies, which resided in no fewer than five different spots in my house.

butterfly collage
Gathering supplies- I keep my large scrapbook paper in these 12"x12" plastic containers I picked up at Michael's for about $5. I found this cigar box of scratch paper in my closet. I recieved it in a swap about six or seven years ago from Elizabeth of My Own Lil Space (she doesn't seem to blog anymore, which makes me sad b/c I loved her scrap projects!).

butterfly collage
The punch is from Martha Stewart's collection at Michael's.

butterfly collage
Little butterflies waiting to be glued down! I wish I had more varied paper, but right now I have mostly solids or holiday-themed paper. And I was just at Michael's two days ago looking at paper in the clearance bin! I really liked this stamp paper I picked out. I used several butterflies from it.

butterfly collage
I drew a template on scrap paper so I could line up the butterflies on the vellum without drawing or marking up the vellum.

butterfly collage
I cut foam dots cut into quarters to give the butterflies some dimension.You could stack them twice as thick if you want more height.

butterfly collage

Lining up the butterflies. For the background, I used some vellum paper I found. I didn't want a true white cardstock because of the white frame. I kept the template beneath the vellum to line up the butterflies. I originally cut out a few that I didn't like once they were in the lineup so I switched them out.

finished butterfly collage
The finished product! I was really nervous about making sure lining up all the butterflies in a straight line, which is why I drew the template but you can't really tell if anything is out of line.  I'm already brainstorming holiday themed layouts I can make. I have a pumpkin punch, but I'd definitely like to make a heart or Christmas version. What shapes would you use?

Intense Debate Comments