Wednesday, October 15, 2008

blog action day

I was surfing through my RSS feed, which includes a lot of personal finance blogs, when I ran across FiveCentNickel's post on Blog Action Day. This year's focus is on poverty, as they say, "By all posting on the same day we aim to change the conversation that day, to raise awareness, start a global discussion and add momentum to an important cause."

One of the ways they suggest combatting poverty is a micro-finance loan through a microlending site such as Kiva. I recently scrapped my Citibank credit cards in favor of a Kiva.org credit card. Not only did it have 15 months at 0% interest, it supports giving small loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries.

Right now, I don't have a lot of extra money to donate to a food bank or other organization, but I do have a lot of free time. I play FreeRice.com in my free time (it's one of my 101 Things to do), and BlueSky mentioned the other day that AidToChildren.com is another great way to raise money to feed children by learning vocabulary words.

Another website I actively follow (and it's on my sidebar), is One.Org, committed to reducing poverty around the globe. I don't see that they are participating in Blog Action Day, but they have a lot of initiatives right now because of the upcoming election.


No comments:

Intense Debate Comments